These characteristics, and more, are what you get from Phreedom Records.
It's founder, Corey "COBaby" Coleman, has been in the game since the early 1990s as the first Road Manager for Cash Money, bearing witness to their growth from an underground label, the original sketch of Cash Money’s logo, to their first major deal with Universal. Since then, COBaby found that he had a real passion, and the skills to back it up, for managing new talent. With his industry connections in New Orleans, Detroit and Houston, COBaby achieved local success with the DoughBoys in Detroit and Piece Of Mind Productions in Texas. Gaining momentum in his drive to connect his influential industry contacts with his tenacity for a successful legacy, COBaby set his sights and ambition towards the bigger picture. Owning a label of his own.
Phreedom Records transformed from an idea 20 years in the making, into reality in 2010. COBaby had recently relocated back to New Orleans and found that his daughter, Deshantrel, had been rapping under the name Flo'Rescent, recording and rhyming at home, uploading her raw videos onto YouTube. COBaby recognized that she had a flo and originality that wasn't a part of the music scene. Dad and daughter met for lunch at Deanie's Restaurant in the French Quarter and walked out as Manager and the first artist of Phreedom Records.
From the jump, Flo'Rescent opened for Dee1, Lil Chuckee and Travis Porter. Performing locally and gaining attention from DJs like Wild Wayne of Q93, collaborating with legends like Skip of UTP. Their success and professionalism drew the attention of other talent that led to the signing of three more artists; Ruk22, Hollygrove Tigga and Mic Price. A lack of female rap groups influenced the decision to combine the strengths and talent of Flo'Rescent and Ruk22, creating the female powerhouse, Double Trouble. Their hits, Stackn Paper and Hustler's Ambition opened shows for Mia X, UNLV, Level, N.O.4, Ghetto Twiinz and Mystikal. Success was on the horizon.
But every backstory has their share of successes, as well as trials and tribulations. Phreedom Records wasn't spared.
Since 2015, Phreedom Records has been revitalized through new talent and influential business partnerships, beginning with the signing of Lucki Lew in 2015. Lucki Lew delivers a mix of music influences from club rap to bounce and jig, fusing inventive dominant lyrics with energetic live performances. He currently has a roster of success in opening for Juvenile, Mannie Fresh, Jacquees, Freeway, Level, Kevin Gates, 5th Ward Weebie, K Styles and Colonel Loud.
In 2017 COBaby added two additional artists to our phamily; Aaron "Butta Bezzy" Anderson, a creative hook master, who expresses himself through a raw and gritty voice, layered with lyrics heavy on sex, twisted with his comedic take on hood life and relationships. His latest tracks, "All My Life" and "All On You" are fire club bangers.
Travlon "Murder" Johnson, a gifted storyteller of unapologetic rhymes with an effortless style of delivery. On his latest project, Murder has collaborated with legends such as Jay Da Menace and Kangol Slim on fire tracks such as "I'm Gone" and "Fuckin Right." His debut CD titled "No Contradiction" is concurrently being developed through genius producers such as KC Tha Producer, Nave Monjo, Kangol Slim and Jay Da Menace to solidify the success of his next release.
Our team has opened individually and collectively for the artists listed above, and most recently with Scarface, LEVEL, ZRo at The Ayva Center in Houston, Jacquees at the House Of Blues in New Orleans, and won first place at the National Entertainment Center in Savannah, GA. Invaluable industry and phan attention was gained at SXSW 2017 in Austin, TX and continues to grow our social media presence.
2018 has brought many changes to our label that generated new life and longevity to our team. We signed 2 major acts to the label, Ghaazi Ali and Tha Team, and from the jump the love from phans has been tremendous.
Ghaazi Ali is a native New Orleanian with a love of music spanning all the way back to his days at Jean Gordon Elementary where he learned to play the snare drum. He has a humble spirit and drive for success that not only impressed CO’Baby, but brought a meaningful message to his attention. Ghaazi expressed his feeling of being “stuck at the bottom…and not having anybody really stop and listen to what kind of talent comes from here is a constant struggle.” CO’Baby listened. A couple tracks were exchanged between artist and record label owner that led to the eventual signing of Ghaazi Ali to Phreedom Records LLC.
Tha Team (K.g, G.o and Mastamynd) have a vocal mixture of talent just oozing with lyrical style and ability. Their originality as a team is enhanced by their ability to stand alone as a force of one or as a team forging their own path, primed for greatness with hard line bass tracks produced by KC Da Producer fused with their own lyrical gifts and twists.
The combination of two powerhouse acts have set Phreedom Records on the cusp of stardom, but we aren’t there yet. The internet is continuing to dominate the breaking of new artist into mainstream artists, making new marketing and promotional relationships a must. Including our solid phamily of artists, our current professional partnerships include:
• Corey “COBaby” Coleman; CEO and Founder of Phreedom Records LLC
• Amy “Mrs C” Coleman; COO and Co-Owner of Phreedom Records LLC, responsible for efficient and effective daily operations that exceed CEO standards.
• BM White; Consultant
• Arlene HeatMag Culpepper; VP/Asst Editor in Chief at Heat Magazine, PR/Publicist at MIKODreamz, and PR and Reporter at The Examiner.
• Ike Numberz of VirDiko; a global online music promotions company with a reach in over 150 countries and a professional list of thousands of DJs worldwide. He’s the Mid-South Region Sales Director for www.VirDiko.com and the Programming Director of www.VirDikoGlobalRadio.com
• Lajoan Williams; CEO of Dream Management; a consultant firm for new talent and businesses, offering cutting edge and relevant approaches to business and marketing challenges, focusing on alternate market and multi-platform distribution.
• DJ RO of WQUE 93.3; He’s the ear to the streets in the South. He played a key role in changing WQUE 93.3 to an urban station, creating and maintaining the only live mix show “Club 93” for the past 22 years.
• Promoters; Sess 4-5 in New Orleans, Lady Shack in Atlanta, GA
• Producers; Jay Da Menace of Black Menace, KC Da Producer and Nave Monjo
• Corey Banks; Founder of $on Productions, videographer and 2015 Hip Hop NOLA Award nominee, 2016 Hip Hop NOLA Award winner.
• Devarian Menyweather; breakout videographer from the Westbank of New Orleans.
• Matthew Brown; Founder of FoxChain Inc and website developer.
New industry partnerships will arise and increase our expansion into mainstream markets. These opened doors, combined with the dedication, passion and tenacity, that our phamily is filled with, will continue to propel Phreedom Records to worldwide success.
One God One Love